This recipe comes from the first Oh She Glows Cookbook. A spin on a classic potato salad that has more colour with the asparagus and avocado. Makes an excellent side dish for a BBQ or potluck, or pair with some tofu or chicken and a bit more greens for a full meal.
Find a downloadable PDF version of this recipe here: Asparagus and Potato Salad with Avocado Dressing
Makes 6 servings; Cooking Time: 25-30 minutes
- 5 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, chopped into 1-inch cubes (or sub mini potato)
- 1 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 bunch asparagus, tough ends snapped off, chopped into 1-inch lengths
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced (white and green parts)
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- 1/2 large ripe avocado
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill or 1 tbsp dry dill
- Juice of 1/2 lemon (1-2 tablespoons)
- 1 green onion, trimmed and chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place chopped potatoes on a rimmed baking sheet, then drizzle lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Toss to coat. Roast for 15 minutes, then toss and roast for another 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing by combining the avocado, dill, lemon juice, green onion, water, salt and pepper in the bowl of a mini food processor. Process until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven after 15 minutes and push the potatoes to one side of the pan. Add the asparagus to the pan, then drizzle with oil, sprinkle with salt and toss just as you did for the potatoes. Return the pan to the oven and roast for another 10 to 12 minutes, until the potatoes are golden and asparagus is tender. Remove the pan from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- To compile the salad, place the sliced green onions and roasted vegetables in a bowl. Add the dressing and toss gently to coat. Season with additional salt and pepper, if desired. Serve with lemon wedges.